VMware officially introduced us to Virtual SAN yesterday. They showed what features to expect and statements from users of the product and industry analysis. Lately VMware announcements are filled with buzz. Now if you don’t know about VMware Virtual SAN (vSAN) here are the basics.
- vSAN will come embedded in the vSphere kernel so that there is no other software to install in your environment.
- Provides highly available shared storage
- Takes advantage of high performance flash
- Integrated with the VMware stack
- Policy-based management framework
- Virtual SAN Ready Node that is preconfigured on 3rd party vendor hardware
- Build your own using standard x86 server hardware on the HCL
You can find more information here.
I think this is a great product that will change the way storage and virtualization is configured today but still the announcement was missing some important information…..cost. Amidst all the buzz there was no pricing or licensing information giving. I expected this announcement to be like one of those “As Seen On TV” commercials where they set you up with the pitch then hit the home run with the cost of the product. I was absolutely stunned or stung, pun intended, when it was not. Who does a product announcement of GA software that does not show pricing? To be frank I’d rather you skip thru the hype and go straight to the cost because everything before that always seem to feel like a hustle to me.
Virtual SAN will be available next week and I’d assume that the pricing and licensing information should be provided. Virtual SAN will offer loads of value to vSphere customers. VMware has to make money and I don’t expect these innovative solutions to come for free. I happen to think the right mix of cost and value will sell the product, not the buzz. So it’s up to VMware to knock this one out of the park with an offer we customers can not resist.