This document outlines the steps for installing the vmware tools in a redhat flavor linux client like fedora or centos.
Note: This will cause downtime because the network will be stopped during this process.
1. logon to the console of the linux guest
2. open a terminal and su to root
3. yum update kernel (click y to install with all dependencies)
4. yum install gcc (click y to install with all dependencies)
5. yum install kernel-headers (click y to install with all dependencies)
6. reboot into the latest kernel
7. logon to the vm guest console
8. right click on the vm guest in Virtual Center and click “Install/Upgrade Vmware Tools”
9. this will mount the “/media/Vmware Tools” directory to your vm guest
10. open a terminal and su to root
11. cd “/media/VMware Tools” from the console
12. rpm -ivh VmwareTools-3.5.0-xxxxx.rpm
(take all the defaults)
14. reboot the vm guest